Coming into freshman seminar, I was falsely notified about how the class would work. I was told by upperclassmen that nothing was done in the class, and it was considered a “blow off” class. I originally did not like the class, as I blew it off as just another “black history” class. Don’t get me wrong I love my black history but I saw everything at Howard as this. But now as the end of the semester is here, I truly understand the value of the class. Not only did I not learn a lot about Howard, but I learned a lot about my ancestry. For the former, there is so much legacy reeking from the walls of Howard University and I never recognized it until I was told in freshman seminar. Each building is more than a building, but a representation of the famous people who helped carve African American history. It just feels great to know that I walked the same ground of many great scholars. I also learned a lot about my ancestry. The things that I was told in freshman seminar revealed my ignorance about my ancestry. It was because of this class that I would research my background on my own time. I never truly understood how rich my culture is. I was under the impression that my culture was always “down in the dumps.” But the time of slavery is only a road bump in our true history. My culture has had prominence for over 12,000 years. Furthermore, freshman seminar has made me understand the true legacy of Howard University. I recognize the where I’m at, why I’m here, and what it took to get me here.
No comments:
Post a Comment