Due to the fact that I have a Saturday class, I was not able to take the trip to the African burial ground. I really wanted to go, but I had to understand my priorities. But from what I heard, it was a truly inspiring trip. I looked up information on the trip and it seems very exciting. Just to think that my ancestors could have been buried there excites me. I’ve always had a will to learn more about my ancestry, and the more knowledge that comes up about it I love to explore it. To think of the struggle that the people that are buried there went through, and the current situation of African-Americans today makes me more joyful. I recognize my blessings just because I know why so many bodies are buried there. I understand that some of their deaths gave me life.
It’s also exciting to say that I went to the school that did research on the bodies. It’s exciting to say that I been in the same building where the bodies were studied at. I feel blessed to say I go to a school that values African research so much. I feel like my ancestors died so I could come to Howard, and they came back to Howard to see how their hard work paid off. I commend all the people who worked to make the African burial ground what it is today. To all of the other 10,000 bodies that were buried in the area, although you weren’t discovered, you are still recognized.
No comments:
Post a Comment