Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Faculty Interview

My contribution to our group's research presentation was to find out the effects my major (nursing/pre-med) has made on the relief efforts following the Rwanda genocide. Ultimately, the goal of our research topic was to show how every field of study, no matter how abstract, can contribute to the solution of any world crisis. The faculty member I decided to interview was my academic advisor Ms. Smith. I take frequent visits to go see my academic advisor and I always ask her questions about my major so I decided I might as well use the questions I ask her to guide my research. When I first came to Howard, my academic advisor asked me why I chose to major in nursing. I told her that my career goal was to be a pediatrician and by majoring in nursing I will able to have the medical knowledge and experience that will be beneficial when applying to medical schools in the future. She went on to ask me why I wanted to be a pediatrician and it was then when I realized the impact medical careers have on the community. I want to make the impact in young childrens lives that my doctors have made in mine. Doctors, more specifically pediatricians, have the ability to nurture a young child to health when that child is in their most vulnerable state. Every child healed is a new life given the chance to make a difference in our world. After being asked such thought provoking questions I went on to ask my advisor why she thinks nursing is an important major and influential career choice. I also asked her about her experience as a nurse and how education beyond a bachelors degree is beneficial to the medical world. The interview I had with Ms. Smith allowed me to reflect on the medical industry. That day I walked away with a new outlook on my future endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment