Dr. Dana Williams gave the last presentation for our freshman seminar class. I found it ironic in a way that this research-based lecture was slated last on the list of presentations because I found it the most helpful to me here and now. Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed all of the valuable information that was shared in all of the previous lectures but for attending college, I would have really like to have a class that was geared more towards student organization, time management, and research. With this presentation delivered last out of all the speeches I found it a little late in coming. In my opinion this last lecture should serve as an introduction to the other lectures on culture. This would allow future students to receive a preview of what the class will be like while still being able to gain a few of the essential tools that they will need for success in school. Ultimately what I think needs to happen, however, is that even some of the cultural speeches should be infused with knowledge about how to handle the college experience. What students really want in a course like this is to learn what college is going to be like. The information on culture can still be kept but there must be more in the way of skills that can be applied to success now. If this does not happen I believe that no matter how interesting u make this course, many students will pay very little attention to the important knowledge that is being imparted.
No comments:
Post a Comment