Thursday, December 2, 2010

Peer-Review #1

Anytime I hear research about music, I think the same thing. Each and every research project about the effects of music says the same thing: it’s negative. When the group who did their research topic about this stood up to present their findings, I felt as if they were preaching to the choir. Now don’t get me wrong, I commend their hard work, and I enjoyed the way they conducted their research. Their survey was very intriguing and they way they conducted it was very well done. I like how they gave the survey to many different age groups. But I felt as if they didn’t bring anything new to the topic. Too many research projects have said the same thing. Negative rap music has a negative effect on kids. It has been said many times. I would have loved to see them show the positives of rap music. I feel like there is a positive effect of rap music on kids. Rap creates a social consciousness. It talks about things that are relevant in society. Therefore kids who listen have a better understanding of the society around them. Although it may not be directly around them, there is no reason to be oblivious to the fact that certain things are still present. It also has poetic justice. Few people can tell a story through words that can touch millions of people all at once.
I don’t ignore the fact that there is a lot of ignorant music in the world today. I also recognize that this music can have a negative role on youth today. But I also believe that you don’t have to listen to Bach and Mozart to hear positive music.

No comments:

Post a Comment