Monday, November 22, 2010

Group Evaluation #2

The group whose topic was History of Poverty did a very nice job. They spoke clearly they knew what they we talking about. I learned more about poverty in less than an 20 minutes than I have since I've been in school. I was shocked to learn that 1 out of 3 kidss in the DC area are living in poverty. People are getting paid billions of dollars per hour yet the less fortunate have to scramble around just to find food.
I think it's funny how our government can go overseas to help third world countries bet we won't help ourselves. After hurricane Katrina hit it took weeks to get people government assistance, but when the earthquakes in Haiti came it took no time for us to go help them. Why is it that we can help someone else but won't help overselves? We have poor, starving people over here as well as other countries. If we don't help ourselves how can we help others? The higher class citizens have jobs being created nonstop while the lower class has to wait in lines at the unemployment office or a temp agency.
If we as a nation would come together, we could possibly get the less fortunate out of poverty. There is no reason why children have to go starving. Some circumstances may be different from others but no child should go unfed. We have all this money and resources but we throw it away on useless things. Maybe one day America will get its' act together.

No comments:

Post a Comment