Sunday, October 3, 2010

Self Actualization and Communal Responsibility

Imagine yourself in a room with 249 listening to a man talk about something that you truly don’t care about after you get out of a tiring Pilates class. Now imagine hearing drums, drawing your attention to the ambiguous sound floating across the room, into the ears of young people who’s DNA are embedded with the many different sounds being displayed. This was my reaction when I sat down to hear another lecture that I had already classified as irrelevant before I had even walked in. The sounds that were being played, and the connection I felt to it was remarkable. I felt like I could hear my ancestors through the simple beat of the drum. Dr. Segun Gbadegesin lecture showed his love for his race, and revealed another aspect to me of how my African ancestors viewpoint besides Christian and Muslim ideals. One idea that stuck with me was the goddess of character, or Iwa. Everything he said had some connection to Iwa. Dr. Segun Gbadegesin said “A man character is a man of wealth.” He reiterated this quite well. From the Principles of Ma’at, which I describe as a mixture of the 10 commandments and common known good deeds, to his story of a man losing his character, everything he said was inspiring. One thing I learned from his speech is that you don’t have to be of a certain classification to live with class. Through his beliefs and through my beliefs, we can both live with character in our life regardless of what we call it.

No comments:

Post a Comment