Dr. Dana Williams's presentation was one of the best ones mainly because it was the LAST freshman seminar lecture. I was so excited when she said this. Personally, I am tired of being lectured every week on a random topic. It is interesting to hear the different views people have on different issues but there is a certain point where a student can become bored of the same routine. Furthermore, Dr. Dana Willimas went on to talk about the six steps one should follow when conducting research. Similar to the scientific method, a research question much be formulated from a problem that one observes from their surrouding environment. From this problem, questions of investigation shall arise and the researcher must seek the answers to these questions. These questions derive from previous information and knowledge the person may have about the topic that is under investigation. By following the six step method for conducting research, my group presentation should be very successful.
Many of the ideas Dr. Dana Williams expressed during her lecture reminded me of the epistemology class I took while I was in high school. Epistemology is the study of the theory of knowledge and its origins. How does one come to know the things they know is the thesis behind an epistemology class. When conducting a research project the same questions should be evaluated. How do I know the evidence I am using is relevant to my thesis and most importantly, how do i know my evidence is CORRECT? Through the evaluation of our evidence, we must also be able to provide limitations to the knowledge we acquired and the conclusions we reached. This is key information that many people most commonly leave out of their research projects. Knowing this, I will make sure my group provides such valuable information and translates it properly to our audience.
No comments:
Post a Comment