Sunday, October 10, 2010

Omoluabi

As we were all growing up, we were constantly asked, "What do you want to be when you grow up?". The most common answers we would hear included a doctor, an astronaunt, a police officer and even superman. Personally, my answer to that question was constantly changing. If I could go back in time and change my answer again it would be Omoluabi. After Segun Gbadegesin's lecture about self actualization and communal responsibility, I was inspired to become a better person who aspires to accomplish more for their community. Omoluabi is "a person of character, disciplined, self improving, thus earning the respect of peers and community on account of practical wisdom in putting knowledge acquired through education to the service of the community, and not shying away from personal sacrifices when needed". To attain such a title would be a great honor. Of course this title is not yet impossible to attain. I do not have to regress to the state of a five year old in order to aspire such position. The pursuit for omoluabi can occur at anytime within a person's life. By accomplishing my career goals of becoming a doctor, I will be seen as omoluabi for my community. A doctor has a set of morals that they conduct themselves by in order to maintain a positive example for the health of their community. Doctors must also be self improving and disciplined because they must engage in numerous years of medical studies in order to master their practice and through the titles they earn during this time a greater respect is earned from their community and peers. I used the example of a doctor because that is my personal career goal but all people are capable of omoluabi if they set out to achieve greatness while also making a positive impact on their surounding community.

No comments:

Post a Comment