Thursday, September 23, 2010
Freedom and Justice
Two words from Dr.Felder's lecture still reflect in my mind: freedom and justice. These two words are very simple in their forms, yet they pack so much power that human beings continue to fight for it. Since the beginning of time, inequality has been a serious issue for African-Americans. Our past generation worked hard for the equality of my generation today. Now we have the power to find for the rights that we should be guaranteed. Dr. Felder's message came quite clear to me. I saw it as a call to action. He wanted to show us that we have the power to accomplish anything that we want to accomplish. There was one thing I did have with the speech that took away from his overall effect. He kept mentioning his book. I hate when I feel like I am being marketed, and Dr. Felder solidified that feeling within my mind. I feel as if that is what Howard tries to do to me. It keeps me cynical and alert to the distress signal of someone mentioning their book. For example, my Pilates teacher had me buy her book as a requirement for the class. Or how everything here is Howard edition meaning that it was probably written by Howard professors. Don't get me wrong I love the close connection to our books. I'm getting taught by people who know the book. But when I am already paying $30,000 dollars to come to the school, the last thing I want to do is take money out of my pockets and put it into someone else's. So going back to Dr. Felder, there are other words from his speech that reflects in my mind. They came at the end when he ran out of time. I don't remember exactly what he said, but Dr. Felder said something that he continually said in his speech. He said pick up "my book" to find more information about this stuff. Dr. Felder's speech was intriguing, but I don't like appreciate him trying to sell his book.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment