I am an African American. This make me an American of African decent. My ancestors are Africans. I am here because of them and I am one with them. When I strive, we strive. When I fail, we fail. But through their prolonged prosperity and their "road bump of struggle," I gain knowledge through every beat of my life. How they were makes me who I am today.
Dr. Carr's lecture brought forth a new viewpoint in my mind: "Africans are originators." We were never anything else. It's a notion in the African American community that we took what was originally made for other people, and used it to better ourselves. I say "we" because I myself once thought that. I thought that areas of academia were first used by Europeans. That was what I was always told. But what Dr. Carr explained to us was before the rise of Europeans (what we know as history today) Africans had been living and striving in the world for many years. Africans invented math, writing, natural sciences, and even social sciences. History taught in our elementary, middle, and high school classes tell us that the Greeks are the inventors of many of these things. There is scientific evidence that ancient Egyptians were the first ones to invent and use these natural sciences. Its enlightening to discover that my culture are not only innovators, but also inventors. We all come from African ancestors. Whether it is accepted or not, that's on the individual. But I am glad to say that a come from very intelligent ancestors.
No comments:
Post a Comment